Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Temporarily Disconnected

So today I had a group of 11 elderly people come in for lunch. I made tuna and egg salad sandwiches, broccoli/pea/cauliflower salad, and apple kuchen. I am just going to be honest, usually, I have a very hard time with older folks. I find them crotchety and demanding. These people were far from that. They were the nicest older folks I have had the pleasure of serving in a very long time. I think it is funny how we tend to always think the worst. I was expecting quite the run-a-round from them, and instead, it was completely delightful. I sure am glad that God doesn't judge me by my outside appearance. I pray that I can stop doing that. You know, one thing I have really been learning is that we are all works in progress. We are not going to all like each other, or be best friends, but we can learn to co-exist. Remembering that we are unlovely sometimes too! In the movie What About Bob? Bob says to Anna, "If I find someone who I don't think likes me, I just treat them like they are a telephone, and i say, this one's just temporarily disconnected." Wise advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment