Wednesday, December 30, 2009

A Weighty Issue............

***warning, this post may be triggering..........................read at your own risk***

Also, I would like to add to this, that you should not feel sorry for me, but for the poor man who obviously needs some lessons in not being a bigot!

So, I am tearfully recovering from what I think was one of the most hurtful experiences that I should ever hope to be a part of. About a year ago, Adam got a customer at his other job who was a real peach of a woman. Literally. She and her husband own a fruit farm. She mentioned that they were going to sell it in the next few years. So of course our vivid imaginations ran wild at the fact that we could someday own a fruit farm. An apple orchard was actually more what we were always thinking............come'on, our names are Adam and Eve:) Over the last year

we have cultivated a relationship with the woman, we even sell her grape jelly in our shop. Not in an attempt to buy her farm, but simply because we met. And I am not sorry that we did.

Out of sheer curiosity, today I called her to ask a few questions about the place. She said I better ask her husband. So I asked the asking price, which, after that I should have stopped, because the truth is, there is NO WAY I would pay that even if I had it! But I figured I would just ask a few more questions......

after I finished with them, I said, thank you for your time, we just thought we should know a bit more as we enter into prayer about this.

Wouldn't it just have been great if that is all that was said? Wait, it gets really interesting from here on out:

He said, "well, I have something to say to you. I won't even consider selling it to you with how obese you are. If you can lose about a hundred pounds, I might consider it. But I just can't sell it to someone who is as obese as you are. Now, I am sorry if that hurts your feelings, but I just have to be honest with you."

I think I have a pretty grown up beef with these comments. I understand that he thinks his farm is a lot of work. And I also understand that it is not good to be extremely overweight. It is hard on your body and it does make life more difficult. But, I believe that I am a very hard worker. There are many days each week when I do not even sit down. I am baking, cooking, cleaning, and waiting on customers for the entire time we are open at the shop, sometimes up to 10.5 hours. Now, every day is not like that, but some are and I think that is hard work. I am tired at the end of the day. I don't even get paid for what I do. If I am blessed enough to have kind customers give me tips, they go in my gas tank. I know that it will be easier as I continue to lose weight. But I have to keep taking it slow, or I will just do what I have done my entire life, and that is put it back on and then some. Weight issues are not always about deeper issues............I have worked though a lot of my deeper issues, now it is time to make good choices. I don't eat for comfort anymore. That is a huge thing! I just need to make good choices when it is time for a meal. We have been working on that. It is working. I have gone down one size in my jeans in the last month just from the changes we are making. I think that is great! I am going to keep going. But am I going to do it because of what he said? No. I am going to continue on and hope and pray that all discrimination will end someday.

I sure am glad that God doesn't look at us the way the farmer guy does. I am glad that he sees our hearts. That he knows our thoughts. That he loves us anyway:)
and...........

I hope the farmer watches who he say this to, so he doesn't have a lawsuit on his hands.








2 comments:

  1. THIS MAN IS CRAZY CRAZY CRAZY.

    I LOVE YOU AND YOU ARE WONDERFUL.

    xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. How insensitive -- This man needs lots of help and prayers I think.

    ReplyDelete